Updated: Jun 9, 2021
Degree or skill - which is more important?
Degree and skill are two sides of the same coin. To succeed in the race of life, a person needs to have a degree along with the skill. A degree without the skill would be as empty as the skill without the degree. Both need to go hand-in-hand to be the survival of the fittest. The degree is nothing but the certified documentation of the skill within the individual. Every person having the skill may not manage to attain the degree. Similarly, every degree holder is not necessarily skilled. The requirement of the degree of skill depends upon the organization, the nature of the post, etc. On a general outlook, which criteria carry more weightage – the degree or the skill?
- Degree is an authenticate certificate that the person applying for the post is having the knowledge of the work requirement and can manage the functioning and justify the post.
- Degree makes a person more confident in his approach and outlook. These things are an essential part of personality development.
- Degree can make a person more polite, humble, and wiser. This could be to take charge of the job or to climb the success ladder. But these things are difficult to manage without a degree in hand.
- A degree earns respect and social reputation. A person is assessed through his qualifications which are reflected by his degree.
- Degree earns money and status for its master. The more specialized the degree, the higher the post and status and higher is the salary package.
- Every degree holder is not necessarily skilled. It is the skill that helps to achieve the target and not the degree.
- Skill is an abstract term that cannot be evaluated on bits of paper. It is a broad spectrum that is groomed within the individual and nurtured through the repeated practical implications in life.
- It is not the degree but the skill that achieves success. A degree can just earn the job, but it cannot help to grow further without the skill.
- It is a skill that attracts employers, clients, and management which lifts or drops the person. Without the skill, the person would not be able to catch hold the interest of their superiors and attain success.
- The great people from history were all skilled people, but they didn’t have the certifications for their knowledge.
The degree is the theoretical evaluation of an abstract concept which is virtually not possible. It is the skill that helps the person to grow up both materially / financially and immaterially concerning the status, importance, social respect and recognition, etc. A degree has its importance, as a person needs to have some skill to achieve the degree. A complete dumb individual cannot qualify to attain the degree. Hence, we can summarize by saying that the degree is the first step in the ladder of skills that leads to success in life.